Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Do I need to undergo surgery for congenital myasthenia gravis?

Do I need to undergo surgery for congenital myasthenia gravis?

Q: I am a 20 years old student suffering from congenital myasthenia gravis since birth. Initially, I started taking Neostigmine tablet and then I started eating like groundnuts till 16 years of age. After that, I consulted a neurologist, who asked me to take Distinon (60 mg). Now, myasthenia gravis has increased a lot and for the last six months, I am unable to do daily routine activities. I am feeling restless and have severe muscle weakness. There is no one in my family who has or had myasthenia gravis. I am currently taking Gravitor SR (180 mg) and Shelcal (500 mg). For gastritis, I am taking Ranetac (150 mg). How can it be treated? Do I need to undergo surgery?

A:It is important to understand and know which type of congenital myasthenia gravis (CMG) you have. There are three types - pre synaptic, synaptic and post synaptic. The synaptic type has no known cure while the other two need to be clearly identified by genetic tests to decide the treatment as treatment of one type may be harmful to other type.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com