Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Do I need surgical removal of my breast lump?

Do I need surgical removal of my breast lump?

Q: I am a 19 years old girl having a lump in my right breast. I was diagnosed with it six months back . The FNAC report stated that smears are cellular comprising of sheets of epithelial cells of apocrine type showing bimodal pattern. Single bare nuclei also present. Background is haemorrhagic. Impression: features correspond to benign epithelial proliferation. The doctor has asked me to undergo a surgery for removing the lump. Is surgery the only option?

A:Since the patient is only 19 years of age and the breast lump on FNAC has shown benign epithelial proliferation, in all probability it is a fibrocystic disease (fibroadenoma). Surgery for such conditions is only suggested if

• It is big
  • It is causing immense pain
  • It is causing substantial symptoms.
  • It is causing severe disfigurement.
  • the FNAC shows atypical epithelial proliferation &
  • there is a family history of breast cancer

Otherwise it is harmless and can be left as such without any problems.