Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Do I need high intensity training to burn fat?

Do I need high intensity training to burn fat?

Q: I am a 23 years old student. My height is 5.11 feet and weight is 78 kg. Do I need to do high intensity training to burn the body fat? Or will a moderate exercise regimen work? Which type of exercise is best for weight loss – high intensity training or moderate exercises?

A:You seem quite aware of the various details regarding fitness training and it is good that you are asking to verify all that you read.

Although the definite dividing lines are hard to differentiate (without laboratory equipment), the general rule is that, to mobilise fat stores as the primary source of energy, medium intensity aerobic workouts over periods of 15-50 minutes work well. The warm up period is important to soft-start the body into action and NOT to deplete the carbohydrate stores necessary for a full force energy store, required in the beginning of your workout.

But the weight loss programmes for beginners tend to be different for those with more practice in training. Beginners tend to benefit from the above mentioned workout.

Reaching a plateau after achieving moderate fitness levels will require you to bring in interval or versa training and other options to kick-start the body out of complacency. This is a specialised programme best done under supervision to cut the risk of injury and damage.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.