Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can my hydronephrosis be treated?

Can my hydronephrosis be treated?

Q: I am a 27 years old male experiencing pain in the right side of my lower abdomen. My doctor asked me to get an ultrasound scanning done, which showed mild right-sided hydronephrosis with dilatation of the proximal ureter and a 7mm calculus in the midpole of the right kidney was found. What does hydronephrosis of right kidney with dilated proximal ureter mean? What are the causes and effects? Is it curable? How can it be treated?

A:Hydronephrosis means ballooning of the kidney with backpressure and it can be due to a number of causes - in your case, it is due to a small 7mm stone. Generally such stones can be managed conservatively but you should consult a nephrologist (kidney physician) who will advise you whether it requires medical or surgical management. In any case you need to institute measures to ensure that the stone does not increase in size, drink plenty of water especially lemon juice and limit salt intake.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com