Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can I replace Isocor with Sorbitrate?

Can I replace Isocor with Sorbitrate?

Q: I am 60 years old, hypertensive (140/90) with L3-4 PIVD. I have been taking Indapamide since 6-7 months for hypertension. Around 3 months back, I noticed persistent bilateral swelling of my feet. I was told that I may be in the initial stages of heart failure and was prescribed Frusemide and Isocor 20. Now, I am in a new country and my Isocor 20 is over and I am not able to procure it here in this country. Will stopping it abruptly harm me in anyway? Will it be fine if I take Sorbitrate 5 mg in place of Isocor 20?

A:Isocor is a long acting nitrate preparation. It has very little utility in the treatment of high BP. It is given for symptomatic relief of angina, which you do not seem to have. Giving up nitrates for any reason is not a dangerous thing. Isosorbide dinitrate (Sorbitrate) is the same salt, which is shorter acting. You can take it 3 times a day, although I feel that you do not need it if you have no angina.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com