Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can I donate my kidney for my uncle?

Can I donate my kidney for my uncle?

Q: I am 26 years old. My uncle (blood relation) is a kidney patient. I want to donate my kidney to him. His blood group is B+ and mine is O+. Can I donate my kidney to him?

A:You can donate a kidney to your uncle, provided you are approved by an authorization committee as well as found to be medically fit to donate a kidney. As per law, parents, brothers, sisters, children & spouse can donate a kidney. Any other relative will have to be allowed by an authorization committee to ascertain the nature of relationship, motive to donate a kidney & no financial transactions in the process of donation exists. There are about 100 transplant centres in the country.