Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can hypermetropia astigmatism be overcome?

Can hypermetropia astigmatism be overcome?

Q: My son is 4.5 years old. At the age of 3 years we came to know that he is having a visual problem in both his eyes from birth itself. At the time of first diagnosis the numbers identified by the doctor was as under: Right Eye Left Eye SPH SPH +2.0 +1.5 Right Eye Left Eye SPH cyl axis SPH cyl axis +2.5 +0.75 +3.0 +2.5 Since the last 6 month he is wearing spectacles but not regularly. According to local doctors after certain age the numbers will be reduced and he will overcome the problem but when?. Is their any treatment to reduce his number? Also is it advisable to operate or it can be only done after a certain period? As per doctors advise we are regularly giving 4 drops of Chromal Eye Drops. Is the treatment sufficient or is there anything else?

A:Your child has compound hypermetropia astigmatisim. Full consultation, following good cycloplegic refraction is essential. With growth, there may be some reduction in the power and this will have to be monitored. The corrected visual acuity in each eye and ocular motility will also have to be monitored from time to time. There is currently no surgical treatment for this condition. Cromal drops (sold Cromogelycate) has probably been prescribed for an allergy and may continue under ophthalmic supervision.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com