Debunking Top 5 Myths About Diabetes
This article tries to dispel the various myths that are associated with diabetes.
- Sugar causes diabetes- Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetic factors combined with environmental triggers. Type 2 diabetes is caused by a combination of genetic and lifestyle factors. Diabetics do not need to stop eating foods that are concentrated sources of sugar, but they can eat small amounts of sugar.
- Diabetics can't eat sweets or chocolates- Small quantities of sweets and chocolates are occasionally OK as a part of a healthy eating and physical activity plan.
- Diabetics have to eat special foods- Like everyone, people with diabetes have to eat healthy. That means a diet low in saturated fat and high in fibre and whole-grain foods.
- You can catch diabetes- You can never catch diabetes. It is not contagious like cold and cough.
- People can have a "touch of diabetes"- You can't have mild or borderline diabetes. All diabetes is serious and, if not managed properly, can lead to serious complications.
Was this Article Helpful Yes