Managing ADHD at home
While there is no cure for Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the condition can be managed successfully.
- Create a daily schedule at home that is easy for your child to remember and follow. Post the schedule where the child can see it.
- Organise your child's belongings - including school supplies, clothes and toys - to make them easier to find. Don't allow the child too many choices when it comes to selecting food, clothing or toys.
- Minimise distractions such as television, music and the computer while your child is trying to complete a task.
- Keep instructions to your child short, direct and clear. Set goals for the child, and offer rewards when those goals are met.
- Build self-esteem by encouraging and promoting skills at which your child excels. Take away a privilege when the child misbehaves. Don't resort to shouting or physical discipline.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.