----------------------- Advertisement --------------------------
Home » Topics » OVARIAN CANCER
 

OVARIAN CANCER

View Full Details
 
  
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  

What is ovarian cancer?

Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Written by : DoctorNDTV Team

Ovarian cancer is the uncontrolled malignant growth of cells in the ovarian tissue. The ovaries are almond shaped organs in the lower part of the woman's abdomen which produce ova and female hormones. Though ovarian cancer is an uncommon form of cancer, it usually occurs in women older than 50 years. This form of cancer is often called the "silent killer" because the symptoms fail to show up until a late stage of the disease. Also since the ovaries are located deep inside the abdomen, they are not easily accessible for examination.

Cancer of the ovary starts most often in the cells lining the organ than in the internal cells or the eggs. Almost 90% of the cases are when the malignancy begins in these covering cells. In the remaining 10% cases the cancer either starts in the cells that later become the eggs, or in the cells that connect the ovaries to the surrounding tissues. Not all ovarian tumours are cancerous. Many lumps in the ovary may be benign. Some cancers spread very fast, while others are easier to control. If the cancerous cells enter the blood stream they can then form tumours anywhere in the body.

Google Buzz
  
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  
 
Post comments
We request you not to tell us about your medical problems through this comment tool.
We are unable to keep track of the innumerable queries and their answers that we get everyday unless they are sent through "Ask a Question"

Name:*   E-mail:*
City:   Phone:
Comments:* 7000 characters remaining
Spam protection
Enter the code:*
Disclaimer: Material sent in this section is contributed by users. DoctorNDTV accepts no responsibility for the content or accuracy of such material and does not endorse or subscribe to the content.
 
Read Comments
Posted by : urbashi, on Friday, March 26, 2010
Good effort for common awarness about the disease as it is happening to most of the women now a days.
 
 
Latest Photos
----------------------- Advertisement --------------------------