He has 25 years of unblemished rewarding career in the Armed Forces. He has served tenure in prestigious hospitals like Command Hospital, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Pune, Srinagar and Army Hospital R&R, New Delhi. He has been a recognized post graduate teacher in medicine and rheumatology since 1998. After taking pre-mature retirement on compassionate grounds, he is presently working as HOD & Senior Consultant Rheumatologist in Dr. BL Kapur Hospital, New Delhi.
MBBS 1983, LLRM Medical College, Meerut
MD (Medicine) 1991, AFMC, Pune University
Post Doctorate training 2 yrs in Rheumatology & Clinical Immunology, AIIMS, New Delhi
Fellowship in Pain Management – Aesculap Academy, Braun Germany
Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound – Army Hospital (R&R)
Fellowship in Diagnostic Arthroscopy, Army Hospital (R&R)Achievements:
- Dr. Garg has achieved an unparalleled success rate at 92 Base Hospital in Srinagar, while treating the critically ill soldiers and patients inflicted with Rheumatic disorders. No patient out of 50 seriously ill cases of Myocardial infarction and 40 cases of High Altitude Pulmonary oedema died in his tenure. For his services par excellence, the Honourable President of India awarded him a National award – Vishishta Seva medal on 26th Jan 2006.
- Various firsts in Rheumatology:
- First rheumatologist in the country to introduce imaging techniques like C-arm and Ultrasound for injecting various spinal, sacroiliac, hip and other joints.
- First Rheumatologist conversant with Gastroendoscopic procedures, he has performed about 300 Upper & 100 Lower G I endoscopic procedures at 92 Base Hospital besides treating innumerable patients inflicted with Rheumatological disorders. He has also carried out Arthroscopic procedures for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
- First rheumatologist treating chronic Rheumatologic patients with the concept of a single window clearance for all patients presenting with musculoskeletal complaints. To fulfil this concept he underwent training in various additional expertise enumerated above.
- Innovated various rheumatologic interventional procedures and devised new techniques and equipments to improve the patient’s outcome, commended by his Commandants for these efforts. His body of work was presented at the Rheumatology update and later, was accepted for presentation at the Asia pacific league for arthritis and rheumatism at Hong Kong, China in 2010.
- This kind of innovative and interventional work in Rheumatology had been initiated by Dr. Garg in India for the first time and now, is being followed by others. Such comprehensive interventional Rheumatology work is in most probability, not being done anywhere in the world. He has been recommended yet again, for the Vishishta Seva medal, as these innovations have resulted in a marked reduction in the cost of therapy in many rheumatic disorders, otherwise highly expensive and unaffordable to the common man.