Why am I unable to sleep well?
Q: I am a 25 years old man and am not able to sleep well at night. I have tried not to sleep during the day but still I cannot sleep at night. Then I tried to go to the gym in the evening so that I get tired and can sleep at night. However, after my work-out from 6 – 8 pm I take a bath and have dinner but it doesn’t help, though I feel fresh and energetic. What could be the reason for this? There is no stress related issue too. What should I do? Please advise.
A:Some important things, which may help your sleep:
- Follow good sleep hygiene measures
- Have a set time to wake up - same time everyday.
- Attempt to be under bright sunlight after you wake up.
- Exercise regularly, however, avoid exercise after 4-5 PM in the evening
- Relaxation exercises are alright prior to bed time - for some taking hot bath prior to bed time may help.
- Have your lights dim / decrease other external stimuli such as sound / music / TV for 2 hours prior to bedtime.
- Avoid any caffeine or alcohol for 4-5 hours prior to your bedtime.
- Day-to-day stressors can lead to sleep disturbances but most of the time such sleep disturbances may improve once the stressor gets better. Also, better coping skills in terms of dealing with stress may also help as well. By this I mean possibly trying to express your stress / feelings, scheduling things in a way to make it less stressful. Having some time for yourself to relax or do what you like, with supportive family or friends.
- Certain medical and psychiatric conditions can lead to sleep disturbances - some of these include, thyroid disorders, pain related conditions, depression and anxiety disorder.