Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Who should I consult if I have a hyperactive child?

Who should I consult if I have a hyperactive child?

Q: I am a working mother. I started to send my son at the care taker's place when he was 4 months old and now he is 9 years old. He is very smart and intelligent but the problem is that he is a very hyperactive child. He cannot concentrate on his work and it is hard for him to sit in a place for even a minute. He wants to play with other children but ends up fighting and abusing. He is quite alright in studies and manages to get 87 to 90% marks. But it is very difficult to make him study. Sometimes when I beat him, he too beats me and shows no respect to his elders. Everyday I receive complaints from his school. Please help me. Should I consult any doctor? Is there is any institution for such children?

A:With a little professional help, your sons behaviour will improve. Perhaps you could go to the Unit for Children with Special Needs in the SNDT Women University at Juhu. They will be able to help with diagnosing the problem, if any. I know that it is difficult to cope with a child who is hyperactive. But you should not be hitting him. Help him to quieten down with silence or soft music. Distract his attention from his wrongdoing. He is not fully responsible for all his actions and may need some medication. If the faculty at SNDT is not able to help you, ask for their advice on where you can take the child for an opinion.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com