Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the treatment for haemolysis?

What is the treatment for haemolysis?

Q: I am a 27 years old man weighing 80 kg and 5.6 feet in height. I have a bilirubin level of 1.4 (direct), 0.78 (indirect) and SGPT is 36. The test reports showed that there is haemolysis of red blood cells (RBC). What is the treatment for this? Please advise.

A:From the available information, your total bilirubin is mildly elevated with a normal SGPT. What you have not mentioned is the complete blood count report and the peripheral blood film report. This would be essential for one to guide further as to type of haemolytic anaemia, if it is there. Nevertheless, haemolytic anaemia can be both congenital as well as acquired. As a step in primary evaluation one must get a peripheral blood film examined along with a CBC and reticulocyte count in addition to Total and direct bilirubin levels. Also, subtyping of haemolysis needs to be done for example whether it is extrinsic or intrinsic factors that are causing haemolysis, etc. My sincere suggestion is to get in touch with a clinical haematologist to get proper evaluation for your illness.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com