Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the cause for mild pain in my knees?

What is the cause for mild pain in my knees?

Q: I have a large frame, 6'1" tall and weigh 109 kg & 38 years of age. I have been through all sorts of investigations. My doctor says there was accumulation of water in my left knee. He terms my left knee problem as bit of everything: degenerative osteoarthritis as well as gouty arthritis. I was put on valdecoxib 20 mg two times a day, Glucosamine/chondroitin recommended daily dose, an acid reducer, allopurinol tablets 300 mg total a day. After being on this for 15 days there was not much significant difference. Later Serratiopeptidase tablets 20 mg twice a day were added and my condition improved a lot. I feel this medicine works for me. The problem of crepitus has not gone. It is more profound in the morning on waking. I am on my daily morning walks for about 3.5 miles. During the walk, I feel as if the crepitus is all gone. I am on a well planned nutritious, balanced diet (not Atkins) and have lost 7 kg over the last one year. The kind of comfort I feel after all these medicines is more or less the same before the start of these medicines when I was taking simple Ibuprofen and Tylenol and Glucosamine / chondroitin. What should I do? The mild pain in my both knees continues which is more on doing typing or sitting over the desk. My range of knee motion is good. Should I go for mild OTC medicines and try conventional alternative therapies or gulp down the cup of my prescription medicines everyday. Please help.

A:The short summary of the problem that you have described does sound very much like that seen in structural-mechanical foot-related problem rather than any internal disease. I suggest that you see a rheumatologist for careful evaluation of your condition. Only then can the management can be planned.