Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the cause for blood clots?

What is the cause for blood clots?

Q: I am a 36 years old woman working as an accountant in a private firm. I keep developing blood clots of about 1 inch diameter or sometimes larger. They keep appearing and get dissolved a week after they appear. I also suffer from a lot of pain in my legs. I would like to know what the cause is and what kind of a doctor do I need to approach?

A:I am a bit confused by your description of getting blood clots which are bigger than one inch in diameter. I am not sure what you mean by this as there are not many veins or arteries in the body of that diameter. I also do not know how you acquired this information. If you have had duplex scan, this shows a clot in the leg veins then you should be investigated for the Anti-Phospholipid Syndrome. You should consult a vascular surgeon and take his advice. You may need an anticoagulant therapy for the short period.