Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is enhanced external counter pulsation (EECP)?

What is enhanced external counter pulsation (EECP)?

Q: My father has 95% blockage in all 3 arteries. Doctors have suggested 35 sittings of EECP. What is that?

A:I think you mean enhanced external counter pulsation (EECP). 35 one hour sittings are given over 7 weeks. The legs are compressed intermittently in rhythm with the heart beat to increase blood flow to the heart & reduce the amount of the heart muscle suffering from decreased blood supply. This is a treatment that helps reduce chest pain in patients whose heart tubes cannot be bypassed due to diffuse disease. Long term randomised studies are not available & it does not improve the life span of the patient. However it is a treatment option worth trying if anginal pain is refractory and they there is no other treatment possible.