Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What does my liver function report suggest?

What does my liver function report suggest?

Q: I am a 36 years old male. My SGPT level is 45 and SGOT is 40 and Serum Bilirubin total is 1.40 and direct is 0.52. Please answer my following questions: What do the test results indicate? What can be the reason for elevated serum bilirubin levels? Do I need to take any medicines at this stage? What precautions should I take for reducing the level of SGPT and bilirubin?

A:

A:I note that you have slightly raised SGPT (45) and bilirubin of 1.4 without any clinical symptoms. I do not think that this should be a cause of concern. 1. Slight variation in SGPT level can be ignored. 2. Slightly raised bilirubin level, which is predominantly unconjugated, can some times be due to Gilbert's syndrome. This is a defect in an enzyme of bilirubin metabolism, which has no clinical concern at all. This is seen in normal population, and needs no treatment. 3. However, as a screening you should get your HBsAg, anti-HCV & Ultrasound abdomen done. All above findings can also be seen in fatty liver. Your liver doctor can guide you regarding the same.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.