Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Smoking - quit smoking

Smoking - quit smoking

Q: I want to quit smoking. Is there any medicine which will prevent me from smoking? I have collegues who smoke and the main thing is that I love the smell of smoke. But I know that smoking is injurious to health. So plaease help me to get away from smoking.

A:You should quit by stopping abruptly. You may have some nicotine withdrawal manifested by nervousness, irritability, craving and sometimes even mood changes. However you can treat this with Nicotine gum although NOT treating it is not dangerous. After the first week you can quit the gum and should have little withdral. Any attempt to stop must be accompanied by behavioural changes which include avoiding situations or places that you are likely to smoke, replacing it with regular chewing gum or candy, holding a pencil if you need something to do with your hands, throwing out any cigartetes and lighters you have at home or in the office, and avoiding being around other smokers at least initially.