Please suggest a vegetarian diet for pregnancy.
Q: I am a 31 years old woman having gestational diabetes. Please provide some recipes for a healthy vegetarian pregnancy diet.
A:WHOLE WHEAT CORN FLAKE ROLLS
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Baking Temperature: 200°C (400°F).
Makes 4 rolls.
Ingredients: one-fourth cup corn flakes, a cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta), two tablespoons wheat bran, a teaspoon sugar, a teaspoon olive oil, three-fourth teaspoon salt, a teaspoon (5 grams) fresh yeast.
- Combine all the ingredients except the corn flakes and knead into a soft dough using water.
- Knead the dough till it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a damp muslin and keep aside (to prove) approximately 20 to 30 minutes till it doubles in volume. Press tightly to release the air.
- Add the corn flakes to the proved dough and knead again till it is well mixed.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and roll out each portion in the shaped dinner rolls. Place on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Cover with a muslin cloth and allow to prove once more till the rolls double in volume.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with carrot
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Ingredients: two cups carrots, cut into cubes two cups fenugreek (methi) leaves, chopped half teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and one large onion, finely chopped 3 to 4 green chillies, finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped 12 mm, half piece ginger, finely choppedone-fourth teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), two teaspoons coriander (dhania) powder, two teaspoons oil and add salt to taste.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onion, green chillies, garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and saute another 2 minutes
- Add the carrots, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and 1 cup of water and stir
- Cover and cook over a slow flame till all the moisture has evaporated and the carrots are tender.
- Serve hot, with the paneer khulchas.