Is surgery preferable in disc prolapse?
Q: I have lumber pain since last 1.5 year. I have contacted a doctor who advised me to have an MRI done. The MRI report detected disc herniation (disc prolapse) from L1 to S5. Then the doctor advised me to go for an operation, however before going in for it, I sought advice from another doctor who advised me not to go for the operation. Now I am still getting pain in my left leg and also in the lumbar region. What should I do?
A:You must decide which of these two doctors you trust and follow that doctors advice. If you decide to stay with the doctor who advised against operation, you must ask this person to help you get rid of the pain once and for all by whatever alternate means the doctor prefers. As a general rule, if there is weakness, decreased appreciation of sensations or loss of reflexes in the affected limbs, surgery is preferable.