Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is pain in the calf muscles, heel and toe due to gout?

Is pain in the calf muscles, heel and toe due to gout?

Q: About four months back, I developed sudden ankle pain in the left leg, which lasted for two days. A month later, I felt as though the nerves in the sole of my left foot were pulling and by afternoon, I had severe pain in the big toe. After this, a month later, a similar thing happened in my right leg. All three episodes happened after running 3 to 5 km. My uric acid level was 7.9 mg/dl (now it is 5.9). It was diagnosed as Gout, so I am having allupurinol. I continue to get pain in the calf muscles, heel and toe of both legs including nerve pulling in the soles of my feet. I have some pain in the lower back too and whenever there is strain on my back, I get pain in the calf muscles, heel and toe too. Can gout cause continuos pain in both legs and feet? Is it possible that I am actually suffering from something else such as a referred pain from lower back or a problem in Achilles tendons due to running?

A:Going through your history, I feel that there is a very high chance that you have a condition called spondyloarthritis, a very common condition seen in about 1-2% of the population occurring in young males usually starting below 40 years of age. This disease is not well known to Orthopaedic surgeons and very often they confuse it with gout, which is an uncommon condition to start below the age of 40 years. Moreover, such episodes with lower back pain cannot occur in gout. Under these circumstances I strongly recommend that you immediately see a Rheumatologist (a physician specialising in joint diseases, NOT an Orthopaedic surgeon!). In Delhi the list of rheumatologist is as follows: All India Institute of Medical Sciences: Dr. Ashok Kumar, Dr. R. Handa, Dr. R. K. Gupta and Dr. Uma Kumar. – Adult rheumatologists Sir Ganga Ram Hospital: Dr. Lalit Duggal, Dr. Atul Kakkar – Adult rheumatologist. Apollo Hospital: Dr. S. J. Gupta – Adult rheumatologist Dr. Sundeep Upadhyaya - Adult Rheumatologist. Indian Spinal Injuries Centre (Vasant Kunj): Dr. Sanjiv Kapoor - Adult rheumatologist Dr. A. N. Malaviya - Adult rheumatologist You may like to consult any of these doctors to get your ailment properly diagnosed and treated.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.