Is bottled mineral water safe for drinking?
Q: After recent disclosures on mineral water containing pesticide residue and other pollutants in India, has anything been done to constitute a body that would certify these bottles of water as being safe for drinking? Is Kinley/Team safe for drinking or is one consuming them at ones own risk?
A:Due to extensive use of pesticides, the ground water in general is now contaminated. Whenever this water is used either to produce soft drinks or the so-called mineral water, there is bound to be residual pesticides. Even the municipal water, drawn from shallow tube wells, is not totally free of contaminants. The government has notified the standards of purity but local governments are the first offenders. The best way to protect ones health is to filter the water and then boil it for drinking purposes.