Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is a uterus transplant possible?

Is a uterus transplant possible?

Q: I am 19 years old. Three years back I had carcinoma of the ovary because of which my uterus and both the ovaries were removed. I have read a lot of articles about ovarian transplants being successful. Is it possible that uterus too can be transplanted or is there any such scope in near future?

A:The transplantation of uterus is not a very common occurrence in most established centres around the world. Nonetheless it is not technically difficult and may not induce strong immunological rejection phenomenon. In the literature, a Swedish group has successfully attempted animal studies and the transplanted animals were seen to have almost normal menstrual periods. In addition to the animal experimentation, a couple of clinical trials have been made primarily in Saudi Arabia and the results indicated menstruation initiation.