Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to treat wrinkling of the skin?

How to treat wrinkling of the skin?

Q: I am 40 years old and am suffering from wrinkling of the skin and dry skin. I suppose my problem is premature for my age so please advise me what is the treatment for this problem. Please tell me what is the period of treatment and its cost. Please give me complete information regarding this.

A:I can fully understand your problem which can cause quite a bit of mental stress especially in women as it affects their physical appearance. We should be aware of the following facts: As we age, changes are seen and felt with our skin. The skin is the body's largest organ and is often subjected to abuses and neglect. Our skin dries out, and often gets wrinkled. As collagen and elastin weaken, they cause the skin to lose its elasticity. The tendency to wrinkle can be inherited, but other factors (e.g. diet and nutrition, muscle tone, habitual facial expressions, stress, proper skin care, exposure to environmental pollutants etc.) cannot be discounted. Excessive exposure to sun and cigarette smoking (hope thats not in your case) can also be a cause of skin wrinkling. Aging of the skin is a very complicated process such that wrinkle creams can almost never live up to what is promised. Creams promise to restore the cells and support of the skin by including compounds in the cream, but these things cant be fixed from the outside. The only anti-wrinkle product worth the hype is a UVA and UVB sunscreen because the use of sunscreen can prevent wrinkling. Other treatments include: Anti-oxidants (tabs containing Vitamin A, C, E etc), Retino-A cream, Exfoliants (e.g. Alpha & beta hydroxy acids). More drastic measures may include: Botox injection (costly), chemical peels with Glycolic or trichloro-acetic acid and Face-lift surgery. Dry skin can become itchy and have some flaking - good emollients e.g. Emolene cream, Glycerine mixed with water, coconut oil, vaseline etc can be used to keep the skin supple and smooth. I have given you some idea of the treatments available but you must check with a good gynaecologist also to see whether early ageing could be related to your hormonal disturbances. You can also consult a competent dermatologist locally now that you are armed with some information about the possible reasons for your condition.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com