Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to manage pain in the legs & joints?

How to manage pain in the legs & joints?

Q: I'm a 30 year old man working as a software engineer. For the last two and a half years I am suffering from pain in my legs. My thigh & calf muscles, the ankle joint and the lower ligaments in the foot get regular pain. It is worst at the end of day when I return from office. The thighs don not pain regularly. Some times I experience severe pain even in the morning and don't feel like going to office. Once I remove my shoes and lie down there is some relief but not completely. The pain is more like a tiredness but if you press the part it pains. If I stand for long there is pain, especially in the calf, ankle and knee joints. At night only the feeling lessens but if you press those parts the pain is felt. There is a mild fever of around 99 to 99.5 F along with the pain, never more than that. I cannot figure out why this is happening. I consulted a physiotherapist, general physician and homeopath but to no avail. It is affecting my work and daily routine. I need a suggestion for this please. I am a vegetarian, do not smoke or drink and have no other complaint except a stone in the right kidney. My weight and BP are normal. All my blood tests are normal. I had polio in my childhood but it was cured. My work involves sitting for hours (usually 8 hrs but sometimes upto 14 -18 hrs).

A:You have given a detailed history of your illness. Yet, there are no straight answers. Your symptoms are predominantly those of pain in the calf and legs. You have a sitting job, however, you have not mentioned if you have pain or numbness or heaviness in the legs when you walk. If it does happen like that, do you ever have to stop walking because of these symptoms? The reason I am asking this question, because, symptom of calf and thigh pain can be as a result of problems in the back (a relative or an absolute narrowing of the canal through which the spinal cord passes). This can be diagnosed only by getting a CT Scan or MRI of the spine. I would recommend that you consult an orthopaedic surgeon and perhaps get the CT or MRI done (MRI may be better but you have to specify for canal measurements). You have mentioned about having a kidney stone. This is often associated with other abnormalities in blood. I do hope some these tests have already been done. If you send me a list of all the blood reports that have been done on you, I shall be able advise you further.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com