Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How effective is Minoxidil lotion in hair loss?

How effective is Minoxidil lotion in hair loss?

Q: I am a 25 years old electronics engineer. I have some questions regarding hair loss. Does Minoxidil 5% lotion stop the hair fall completely or does it only promote hair growth? Since I am using Mintop 5% for 2 months, I am observing slight regrowth but my hair fall has not stopped completely. After applying Mintop at night, I observe some substance accumulated on the scalp in the morning which I have to wash using shampoo. What is this substance? I had used Finpecia (Finasteride) tablets for 8 days and then I stopped it. This prescription was given to me by a dermatologist who also told me that he has patients who have been using Mintop 5% and Finpecia tablet (daily 1 tablet) for the past 2 years with no side effects. Can I take Finestride tablet?

A:Mintop lotion is used in the treatment of both androgenetic alopecia and alopecia areata. However, Finestride is useful in the treatment of the former. It depends what your problem is. Most published studies have not tried both medicines simultaneously. Mintop lotion is not effective in all cases. Mechanism of hair loss in the above 2 disorders is different. Logically the mode of action of medicine in each has to be different. Every individual, even those without any disease, lose hair every day, as a part of normal hair growth kinetics. A normal person can loose up to 150 hair per day. What collects on your scalp has to be analysed.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.