Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can my son's developmental delay be managed?

How can my son's developmental delay be managed?

Q: My 13 months old son is suffering from microcephaly with agenesis of corpus callosum. His weight is only 5.3 kg. How can he gain some weight? Is there any treatment for this problem? He sits with support but is not able to hold his head up and is unable to roll over. Is there any chance to grow the corpus callosum?

A:There is a global developmental delay in the child. It is important to detect any other underlying pathology in the brain. An MRI should be able to detect any other structural defects associated with the agenesis of corpus callosum. If an MRI was done when he was less than 6 months old, a repeat MRI would be more informative now.

His hearing and vision should be tested if there is a doubt of any lag in these skills. Also, details if the child has jerks or not is missing.

There is no method to change the corpus callosum. But the child should undergo occupational therapy and an early intervention. Your paediatrician will help you to access these facilities.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com