Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Does flat foot cause ankle pain?

Does flat foot cause ankle pain?

Q: I am a 50 years old male suffering from ankle pain. My foot often gets twisted while walking. My orthopaedic doctor told me that I have flat foot and has asked me to use foot arch support. Is it ok to use this and from where can I get it?

A:You are 50 years now, and as per your orthopaedic surgeon you have flat foot. It is common for some of flat footed person to have pain coming on some time during their life. This may be in the older patients also as in your case. It is also common practice to give a supportive orthosis or shoe modification to provide an arch support. However, there is no evidence to show that constant use of arch support in any way helps restore the arch that has collapsed. The patient may have temporary pain relief but the arch itself cannot be restored by any means. First of all, in your case it is necessary to be clear that your pain is because of the flat foot per se and not because of any injury or twisting. If it is because of an injury, you need to be put on an exercise regime including the use of a wobble board (your Physiotherapist can guide you). If it is because of flat foot then you may have temporary relief with the use of arch support but if it is a persistent problem you may need a surgical intervention. Please get your case reviewed by an orthopaedic surgeon.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com