Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can I get an infection on inhaling correction fluid?

Can I get an infection on inhaling correction fluid?

Q: I am 18 years old. I recently inhaled the white ink used for correction purposes. Can I get any infections as a result of inhaling the ink?

A:Correction fluids contain volatile organic solvents. They cannot cause any infection. However, since they contain organic solvents, unused correction fluid thickens over time due to exposure with the air. It can become too thick to use, and sometimes completely solidifies. Some correction fluid manufacturers also sell bottles of organic solvents as thinner, a few drops of which will return the correction fluid to its original liquid state. Bottles of thinner originally contained toluene, which was banned when it was shown to be carcinogenic. Later bottles contained trichloroethane, a skin irritant now widely banned, and then the slightly safer trichloroethylene. Thinners currently used with correction fluid include bromopropane. Organic solvents are psychoactive when deliberately inhaled. Such solvents are common inhalants for adolescents, due in part to the fact that they are inexpensive in comparison to other recreational drugs. Use of correction fluid as an inhalant can cause the heart to beat rapidly and irregularly, which can cause death. An unpleasant smell is added to some brands in order to deter abusers.

RELATED FAQ

................... Advertisement ...................

   

FAQ

ASK OUR EXPERTS

Using 0 of 1024 Possible characters
Choose Topic
-------------------------------- Advertisement -----------------------------------