Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can hair colours lead to greying of hair?

Can hair colours lead to greying of hair?

Q: I am 31 years old. For the past 8 years, I have been colouring my hair regularly. I have been using various brands. I have always used best of the post colour hair products. But I guess I have ruined my hair completely. Major part of my crown area has started greying rapidly. Initially when I saw 1-2 strands, I started plucking them. But my hair dresser warned me not to. But its too late now, I have 300-400 grey hair now. I have stopped colouring except for my crown area. The last product I used was palette. Since I am using this bottle only to cover my grey hair. The bottle can last 3-4 times over a period of 3 months. Is it safe to reuse the opened bottle of any permanent natural colour? Or should I buy a new bottle each time for colouring my hair? How harmful or safe are these colours? What is the difference between fashion colour and a dye? How harmful is the chemical? Should I start using henna to cover the greys? Please recommend me the best brand in fashion colours.

A:Greying of hair is not related to any hair products. If the white hair are strictly confined to one area, it may be poliosis, which is a localised form of albinism. There is no treatment for that except to use any form of hair colour.