Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can disc desiccation cause pain?

Can disc desiccation cause pain?

Q: I am suffering from back pain since a long time. Recently I had my M.R.I. scan which shows disc desiccation at L3/L4 and L4/L5 with rest of the intervertebral discs being normal. The doctor advised me to take Tab. Nimesulide BP 100mg in the morning and Tab. Celepra 20 (citalopram hydrobromide)in the evening, for two months. But there is not much improvement. Doctor please advise if I should continue this treatment? Is there any slip disc in the report and what is the meaning of desiccation?

A:Desiccation, as the word suggests, refers to the drying up of the inner stuffing of the disc-shaped shock-absorber placed by nature between any two vertebrae. As we age, the contents of the disc suffer degenerative changes with consequent loss of elasticity. One consequence is their tendency to sag and bulge in all directions. When the desiccated disc bulges backward, it may press upon one or more nerves travelling down the spinal canal and result in pain, paresthesiae and weakness of muscles of the lower limbs. You need to check with your doctor whether the abnormal discs are compressing nerves, and if so, whether there is any abnormality of function of these nerves. If there is compression of nerves, the term slipped disc could be applied here. Further treatment would depend on the degree of compromise of nerve function by the pressure.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.