Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can an abnormal shaped sperm cause miscarriage?

Can an abnormal shaped sperm cause miscarriage?

Q: I am a 31 years old male who has been planning for a child for the last two years. My wife got pregnant after one year of trying but had a miscarriage after five weeks. We tried for another year but no results so far. The doctor suggested me to undergo semen analysis, which showed 66 % of abnormal size / shaped sperms and decreased viscosity. All the parameters like volume, sperm count, motility, etc were fine. My wife’s report is also normal. The doctor told us that miscarriage might have been caused due to the abnormal sperms. Does an abnormal sized / shaped sperm cause miscarriage?

A:Abnormally sized / shaped sperms, also called as abnormal morphology (Teratospermia) may be one of the factors for recurrent pregnancy loss. Some laboratories do semen analysis and sperm morphology with strict Kruger criteria. You may need to do this because it gives more detailed information about semen analysis and sperm morphology. With Kruger criteria, >14% of normal looking sperms indicate normal semen quality. Genetic testing (karyotyping), DNA fragmentation test and anti-sperm antibodies are other important special blood and semen tests which may need to be done for detail evaluations of recurrent pregnancy loss. Assisted reproductive technology (ART) like Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) may be required in your case if natural pregnancy does not succeed. In ICSI, a normal looking sperm can be picked up and utilized for fertilization. You may need to consult an ART centre in near future if normal pregnancy is not successful.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.