Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can a diabetic patient have boiled sweet corn?

Can a diabetic patient have boiled sweet corn?

Q: I am a type 2 diabetic patient, aged 55 years and my sugar level is 5.6. I want to know whether I can consume 200 gms daily boiled sweet corn (maize) without any ingredients but with some salt? What are the vitamins in it?

A:Maize, the American Indian word for corn, means literally that which sustains life. It is, after wheat and rice, the most important cereal grain in the world. Botanically, maize (Zea mays) belongs to the grass family (Gramineae). The major chemical component of the maize kernel is starch, which provides up to 72 to 73 percent of the kernel weight. Other carbohydrates are simple sugars present as glucose, sucrose and fructose in amounts that vary from 1 to 3 percent of the kernel. After starch, the next largest chemical component of the kernel is protein. Protein content varies in common varieties from about 8 to 11 percent of the kernel weight. The oil content of the maize kernel comes mainly from the germ. Oil content is genetically controlled, with values ranging from 3 to 18 percent. Maize and other cereal grains constitute important sources of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamin B, and minerals. In some regions, maize serves as the primary staple while in other regions, maize is combined with other cereal grains. Maize is an excellent source of carbohydrates and good quality oil. It is more complete in nutrients in comparison to other cereals. All cereals tend to be low in lysine, tryptophan, and in available calcium. Maize is particularly low in niacin.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.