Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Asthma - Cough

Asthma - Cough

Q: I am an asthmatic suffering from a cough. What can I do to keep my chest free from cough all the time?

A:Asthma patients usually have a constant cough accompanied with the asthma attacks. There is no way to permenently get rid of the cough. Preventive medicines include theophylline, a pill often taken at bedtime to prevent wheezing at night and chromoglycate which is inhaled three to four times a day. These guidelines may help to keep asthma under control:

• Avoid smoke, especially cigarette smoke, vapours and chemical fumes.
  • Stay indoors during the humid season or the change of seasons especially when the pollen count is high.
  • Do not use fans in closed and dusty places.
  • Cover mattresses and pillows with plastic covers. Wash the bedding in hot water every week.
  • Do not use a vaporizer or humidifier unless it is thoroughly cleaned.
  • Do not have close contact with pets. Pet owners should bathe their pet weekly.
  • The cleaning of the house or the surroundings should be done by wet mopping rather than sweeping, wherever possible. This avoids the generation of allergen aerosols which could act as a triggering factor.
  • The doctor should be contacted in case the medicines are not effective in keeping the breathing comfortable.

• RELATED FAQ