Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why is there a sudden rise in CA 15.3?

Why is there a sudden rise in CA 15.3?

Q: I am a 63 years old woman diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer stage 2 two and a half years back. I underwent chemotherapy and radiation therapy. I had a bit of chest pain and felt unwell a few days back. I underwent blood tests and the CA 15.3, which came 30. It has been 19 for the past two years. My weight is 66 kg and height is 5.7 feet. Why is there a sudden rise in CA 15.3?

A:For the kind of medication that has been given and that you are taking and also for your age, you must keep a close watch on heart. ECG alone is not adequate in this case; you should get the Echo cardiography done along with the cardiac enzymes. Also consult a cardiologist. Please rule out if you have any borderline diabetes.

There is almost 100 percent rise in Cancer Antigen 15-3 (CA 15.3) and you should be watchful on the same and wait for another three months before you repeat it. What is more important is that you shall have to be on three-monthly follow up with your oncology team; if one is not there there will be others to attend to you. Please do not forget to do your hand exercises on routine basis, and reduce your weight by about two kg or so.