Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to manage recurrent cough & cold in children?

How to manage recurrent cough & cold in children?

Q: I have a four year old daughter who has cough and cold most of the time. The doctors diagnosed her to be suffering from primary complex and she took anti-tuberculous treatment for 6 months. But even now she is having this problem and at least once in 2 months she is prescribed antibiotics. She sweats a lot; even after 5 minutes of play her head will be completely wet. Even after the afternoon nap her pillow is very wet because of sweating. When I enquired with doctors they said it is not a problem. I am suspecting this may be the reason for her cough and cold problem. Could you please advise; do we have to take any other tests?

A:Usually, 6 months of treatment for tuberculosis is sufficient to result in a full cure, provided the treatment was taken correctly. Recurrent cough and cold is common in many children, and tuberculosis is not the cause if there are symptom-free times of weeks or months between episodes. A posible underlying cause may be sinusitis, and special radiological studies would be needed to make this diagnosis.