Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How do I control my TSH?

How do I control my TSH?

Q: I am 28 years old. My weight is 108 kgs. and height is 5.8 feet. My TSH is 100. The doctor has detected me as a patient of thyroid and advised me to take 100 mg of eltroxin per day. I am also taking medicine to control my cholesterol and blood pressure. My cholesterol level is 160 and B.P. is 165. Please give me sincere advice.

A:You need to lose weight. There are only 2 ways to lose weight: 1. Decrease your calorie intake, mainly easily digested carbohydrates like white rice and sweets and fats like whole milk products/ cooking oil 2. Increase energy expenditure with daily brisk walking and bhastrika (can learn this from a yoga teacher or the nearest art of living centre). Losing weight will decrease your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. After 2 months on thyroxine you can check T3,T4 and TSH and your fasting lipid profile to see if you need to continue your anti-cholesterol medications. If you lose weight significantly in a couple of years, you may be able to come off medications for increased BP too.