Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Giddiness - vomiting

Giddiness - vomiting

Q: I am experiencing frequent giddiness followed by vomitting and feel that the whole surrounding is rotating. I have this for the last 3 months. I am working in computers atleast 6 hrs a day, but my eyesight is perfect as per the specialist. One of my ears is about 80% deaf. I consulted ENT surgeon also for this problem. I am under his treatment for the last 2 months, but there is no reduction for my problem. Even the scanning of the brain couldn't detect any disorder.I am having the Betavert tab twice a day. I am really afraid of going to office since it happened many times in the office also. X-Ray of my neck portion shows slight spondilytis, but it is negligible. I would request your opinion regarding whome to consult. I am located in Mumbai.

A:Your condition seems to be Vertigo, which is most probably due to an imbalance of the fluids in the inner ear. Though to fully establish this an investigation called electronystagmography may be required. In the mean time the treatment that you are on may be required to be augmented by tablet Stemetil 5 mg 2-3 times a day for a period of 3-5 days. I would also recommend that as soon as you get stable you should stop the medication and undergo a series of exercises called the Cawthorne Cooksey Vestibular Exercises so that a central compensation takes place, or to have the Eplyãs canalith repositioning maneuver performed. As you are living in Mumbai you can consult Dr. Milind V. Kirtane whose email add. is drmvk@bom2.vsnl.net.in or Prabodh Karnik whose email add. is drkarnik@vsnl.com