What causes small size of testicles?

Saturday, 29 May 2010
Answered by: Dr Ranjith Ramasamy
Clinical Associate in Urology, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell University, USA

Q. I am a 30 years old male. The size of my testicles is small. There is no pain and swelling. I consulted a doctor who told me that the problem is due to hormonal problems. Are hormonal problems linked to the size of testicles? What causes small size of testicles?

A.  It is unclear whether you had small testes to begin with or their size decreased suddenly. If you had small testes to begin with, this could mean several causes, including hormonal deficiencies (pituitary malfunction) and genetic causes such as Klinefelter syndrome. If your testes suddenly started to decrease in size, it could be from surgery with loss of blood supply or another cause that needs further investigation with imaging such as scrotal ultrasound. Testicular torsion can happen as an adult but on both sides is very uncommon without symptoms. You should consult with a urologist in your area to discuss this problem further.