Why do I get testicular pain?

Monday, 03 May 2010
Answered by: Dr Dharm Raj Singh
Chief of Urology, Campbellton Regional Hospital, St. Joseph Health Center, New Brunswick, Canada

Q. I am a 24 years old male having mild discomfort in my left testis and had mild pain in lower left abdomen for a day or so. The discomfort in left testis is gradually decreasing. I generally wear jeans and my job demands sitting at computer for 10 hours a day. The discomfort usually starts suddenly in the afternoon and I feel that my testes are heavy. I don’t feel any discomfort while walking. If I don’t pay attention, I can ignore it. I researched a little bit and found that this may be testicular cancer. Do I experience discomfort because I started jogging or is it due to masturbation? I don’t smoke and have no family history of this cancer.

A.  According to your description, you are having mild, off and on testicular pain or orchalgia which is of recent onset. I don't think jogging should cause this pain as long as you are not overdoing it. You should visit a urologist for detail examination and other relevant history. Are you wearing very tight pants, jeans or underwear which may cause this discomfort specially as you mentioned that the pain increases while sitting for long time. Although exact causes of orchalgia is not clearly understood in many patients (Idiopathic orchalgia), the few common causes of orchalgia/scrotal pain are inflammation, infection, varicocele (abnormal dilated veins around the testis), epididymitis (inflammation of a gland situated above the testis) and prostatitis etc. which should be ruled out. You may be advised for urine tests and ultrasound of testis etc. If no significant abnormalities are found in these tests and if your pain still persist then you may need supportive treatments including anti-inflammatory medications, antibiotics and scrotal support etc.