What precautions should I take for urinary tract infection?

Sunday, 02 July 2006
Answered by: Dr. Mahendra Bhandari
Vice-chancellor,
KG Medical University
Lucknow

Q. For the past 2 days I have been running light fever around 99 and 100 degrees. I also have white discharge from the urine outlet. The urine tests show 8-10 pus cells. The patholigst has indicated a possibility of urine infection. What medicines should I take?

A.  Well it might be urinary tract infection. I would think since your symptoms are not too bad give a urine test for culture and than you could start treatment without waiting for the report. Eighty-five percent chances are that the urinary tract infection will be with E.coli organism and your doctor could start you on simpler drugs effective against the bacteria. You have not mentioned whether you are a married female. You will have to take lot of permanent precautions in addition to the treatment as advised by the doctor. Recurrence of urinary infection is very common in females and these precautions will help you keeping it away: 1. Drink 1.5 litres of fluids in 24 hours. 2. Maintain personal hyegiene, use a shower and wash the vagina after every urination. 3. Keep your urinary bladder empty by passing urine without delay. 4. Females should take one tablet of Septran just prior or immediately following intercourse. 5. Latest studies reveal that having 300 ml of cranberry juice every day helps a large number of females to stay free of urinary tract infection.