Is it safe to travel after cervical cerclage?

Wednesday, 31 May 2006
Answered by: Dr. Abha Majumdar
Consultant in IVF and Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 29 years old and 24 weeks pregnant. I had undergone cervical cerclage at 20 weeks. In the ultrasound everything seemed fine. My doctor prescribed Duvadilan twice daily when I complained of slight pain in the lower abdomen and back. I am planning to go to my native country at the 28th week. My doctor has advised me against travelling, as I need to complete at least 32 weeks first. Now I am confused because I do need to travel since there is no one who can take care of me here. What is your opinion? Is air travel of 4 hours dangerous after cervical cerclage?

A.  Air travel will not harm you at all. However, you need to have arrangement with a good neonatal tertiary care centre at the place where you are going and your preference for delivery should be at that place only where they could manage premature babies well. You must be given a steroid cover at 27 -28 weeks to prevent respiratory distress to some extent in the baby later.