Is a stretching feeling and increased heart rate normal during pregnancy?

Answered by: Dr. Abha Majumdar
Consultant in IVF and Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 23 years old and 4 months pregnant. My doctor did not recommend folic acid. My haemoglobin is 9.5 right now, but I am still taking iron tablets. Is folic acid necessary? What possible problems can occur by not taking folic acid? Should I start them now? From the past 3-4 days, I am feeling that my heart rate has increased, why has that happened? I also get a stretching feeling in my lower abdomen, is it normal?

A.  You don't need any extra folic acid, nor is it abnormal to have a stretching feeling in the abdomen. It is also normal to have paroxysmal episodes of increase in heart rate but for this you can see a cardiologist or physician to be sure its part of normal pregnancy or not.