Why do my nipples remain swollen all the time?

Thursday, 25 August 2005
Answered by: Dr. Surindher
Plastic Surgeon

Bangalore

Q. I am a 20-year-old boy. My nipples have been swollen from the past 7-8 years. They become normal while bathing and after it. But after some time they swell up again. I am very conscious about it. I am not confident in removing my shirt in front of anyone, even my girlfriend. What is the solution to my problem?

A.  The nipples get erect after any kind of stimulation in the form of temperature, touch etc. This is a normal phenomenon in all human beings because of the nerve supply. In men, it is not so prominent because of lack of tissue underneath the nipple. You don't have to be too worried about it but in case you feel the size is more, then you need to consult a plastic surgeon to see if you have any glandular tissue underneath, which might require excision of the same.