What is the latest technique for cataract surgery?

Monday, 17 January 2005
Answered by: Dr. Noshir M. Shroff
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon,
Shroff Eye Centre,

Q. My father, 65 years old, has to go in for a cataract surgery. The doctor has suggested different type of lenses for implant having different costs. How can I know which lens is better than the other? What is the latest methodology available in India to find out the power of the lens which is to be implanted during surgery? What is Nakhuna? Some doctors say that my father has Nakhuna in his eye.

A.  The latest technique for cataract extraction is phacoemulsification with foldable intraocular lens implantation. There are various methods available for IOL power calculation but your fathers doctor is the best person to decide which formula is best for his eyes. Nakhuna (also known as pterygium) is a mass / growth of conjunctiva usually seen on the inner side of the eye growing onto the cornea. It can be either removed at the time of cataract surgery or as a separate procedure. However pterygium is known to recur. The best technique is pterygium excision with conjunctival auto-grafting, which minimizes the chances of recurrence.