Is melanocyl ointment efficient in treating vitiligo?

Thursday, 26 August 2004
Answered by: Chandra M. Gulhati

Q. I have read about melanocyl ointment and its benefits in treating vitiligo. I am 27 years old suffering from vitiligo for the past 18 years. It has started covering my face, but I have never taken any treatment for it. Many people say that melanocyl ointment has worked for them. I too want to give it a try. However, I cannot find it in UK and I cannot get hold of people who supply it in India. Where can it be purchased in UK, and what are the application procedures?

A.  Melanocyl is the brand name of a medicine called ammoidine. It is available in India because it is permitted to be sold by the Drugs Controller General, India (DCGI). Its use has not been approved by the British Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority, European Medicine Evaluation Agency etc. It is a prescription drug and must never be used without a dermatologist's advice and supervision. We are unable to comment on its efficacy and safety.