How can I get rid of the scar on my forehead?

Tuesday, 04 May 2004
Answered by: Prof. A.D. Redmond
Professor of Emergency Medicine,
Keele University, Staffordshire,
U.K.

Q. I am 20 years old. When I was eight years old a piece of pencil lead accidently went into my forehead just above my right eye. It bled and left a small mark. I consulted a doctor and the lead was removed. After a week I observed a black mark and consulted the same doctor, he did a small operation and another piece of lead was removed. He made 5 stitches and there is a big scar on my forehead. I have tried a lot of ointments and creams but there is no effect. Can my scar be removed by other methods?

A.  Plastic surgery can only replace one scar with another although it may look a little better. If the scar is still pigmented it can be cut out but a non pigmented scar will still remain. Discreet stage make up is excellent for disguising facial scars.