Is there any permanent treatment available for hypothyroidism?

Wednesday, 02 December 2009
Answered by: Prof Mini Sood
Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. I am a 24 years old female who got married last month. I have hypothyroidism and am taking Thyronorm tablets regularly in the morning before breakfast. For past 4 months I am having irregular periods and my doctor suggested taking duphaston tablets for a week and after taking these tablets my periods are regular. But whenever I discontinue duphaston I don’t get my periods. I just want to know if there is any treatment available for my problem and will I be able to conceive naturally in future?

A.  Hypothyroidism needs lifelong treatment. It can cause irregular menses as well as difficulty in conception due to poor egg formation. The good news is that it is treatable in most cases. First you need to have an endocrinologist look at your thyroid function tests and maintain a good control so that menses occur regularly, without duphaston. If weight is an issue, it too needs to be addressed and weight reduction does improve conception as well as making the menses regular.

Once the thyroid is under control, then you need to have check up for conceiving- tests for egg formation by serial ultrasound scanning and if necessary medications like clomiphene, under supervision and guidance of a gynaecologist, to time the egg formation with coitus by natural methods or by IUI, as the case maybe.

The thyroid medication needs to be continued even after the pregnancy occurs and regular checks of thyroid function every three months may be needed. If the thyroid hormone is less, the mother can have abortion, and the baby can have features of hypothyroidism, cretinism or mental retardation, which can easily be prevented through regular medication.