How can the side effects of AKT-4 be avoided?

Monday, 16 February 2009

Q. My daughter is 27 years old and she has started the AKT-4 course from today. Please guide me what I should do to avoid the side effects of it? And after the completing the course she will be alright?

A.  AKT-4 contains four medicines: rifampicin, isoniazid, ethambutol and pyrizinamide. In order to reduce side effects one should given vitamin B-6. For the convenience of the patients some brands such as Wokex-4 contain vitamin B-6 also. Hence you can use either Wokex-4 brand or administer B-6 vitamin 10mg separately. Visual functions should be tested before starting therapy or immediately thereafter LFTs (liver function tests) and uric acid levels should be monitored periodically say every 8 weeks or so. Medicines must be taken regularly. There will be no long lasting side effects. Once treatment is over (lasting from 6 months to 9 months at the most), the patient will be absolutely fine and normal in every respect.